The IMS standards are a critical component of Houston ISD’s digital transformation. Not only do IMS Global standards create a more effective teaching and learning environment, they also provide effective and economic solutions. Historically, HISD has built customized rostering integrations to suit each learning tool vendor’s individual needs, an extremely expensive, time-consuming and resource-intensive approach. Now that we have adopted IMS Global’s OneRoster standard, we anticipate reducing requirements gathering and development time by 75% - 95% for new rostering integration requests.
IMS, under leadership of our K-12 Institutional Executive Board and member districts, has been helping districts implement IMS Interoperability standards that yield the following benefits:
- Personalized learning as the “new normal”: Enable personalized assignment by the teacher or adaptive release to students of appropriate curriculum resources based on need
- Standards and competency focused curriculum: Organize instructional and professional development resources according to learning standards or objectives
- Actionable data across diverse tools from multiple suppliers: Provide ongoing and rapid assessment data to teachers, students and parents, indicating areas needing improvement
- Easily utilize remediation resources from multiple suppliers: Enable rapid linking of areas needing improvement to professional development resources and additional curriculum resources
- Seamless connectivity between teaching and learning platforms and publisher/application provider systems: Significantly reduce the time and money it takes to integrate third party systems into the district eco-system