LTI® v1.3 and LTI Advantage
|Member Resources||Public Documents||Background|
- Introduction of the IMS Security Framework specification prescribing improved security based on OAuth2 and JSON Web Tokens
- Improved documentation and migration guidance to help move the market from the benefits of basic launch to the full suite of LTI possibilities
- Alignment with the LTI Advantage set of services or extensions that enable a fully integrated and innovative digital ecosystem
LTI Advantage is a package of key LTI extensions that build on LTI v1.3 to implement features that support teaching and learning activities, such as the provision of usernames and roles so a tool can intelligently address the learner on launch, and the sharing of assignments from a platform to an assessment tool and the subsequent scores back to a central gradebook.
Click for the Recommended LTI Adoption Roadmap
Member Resources (login required)
LTI Core Specification
- LTI v1.3 - Candidate Final status
LTI Advantage Specifications
- Assignment and Grade Services v2.0 - Candidate Final status
◦ OpenAPI Swagger View - Candidate Final status
- Names and Role Provisioning Services v2.0 - Candidate Final status
- Deep Linking v2.0 - Candidate Final status
Other LTI Extensions
- IMS Security Framework v1.0 - Candidate Final status
Public Documents and Resources
Current Version Specification Documents
Previous Version Specification Documents
The IMS Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standard prescribes a way to easily connect learning applications and tools with platforms like learning management systems (LMS), portals and learning object repositories on your premise or in the cloud, in a secure and standard manner and without the need for expensive custom programming. Using LTI, if you have an interactive assessment application or virtual chemistry lab, it can be securely connected to your LMS with a few clicks. LTI is comprised of a central core and optional extensions to add optional features and functions. The LTI core establishes a secure connection and confirms the tool’s authenticity while the extensions add features like the exchange of assignment and grade data between an assessment tools and your LMS gradebook.
IMS Global has testing programs that enable products to be certified compliant with specific standards and features of the standards. For technology suppliers, participation in the IMS Global certification process is the fastest and most cost-effective way to achieve product integrations. For institutions, ensuring that your educational technology tools are IMS Global certified is the best way to establish a plug-and-play ecosystem, allowing your tools and content to work together seamlessly, giving you more choice, and reducing your total cost of ownership. IMS Global members have access to expert support to implement the standards prior to completing conformance certification. Learn more to begin taking advantage of the benefits of certification.
Remember to log into the site first to see a complete list of the resources available to you. Some resources are only available to IMS Global members. If you are an IMS Global member but do not have a login, you can create one here. If you cannot find what you need, try posting a message to the forum.
The following specifications may also be of interest: