LTI® 1.3 and LTI Advantage
|LTI Advantage Resources||Public Documents||IMS Member Resources|
LEARNING TOOLS INTEROPERABILITY® 1.3 AND LTI ADVANTAGE ARE TRANSFORMING DIGITAL LEARNING
- Introduction of the IMS Security Framework specification prescribing improved security based on OAuth2 and JSON Web Tokens
- Improved documentation and migration guidance to help move the market from the benefits of basic launch to the full suite of LTI possibilities
- Alignment with the LTI Advantage set of services that enable a fully integrated and innovative digital ecosystem
LTI ADVANTAGE is a package of three essential end-user services that build on LTI 1.3. Together, these standards implement features that support key teaching and learning activities, such as the provisioning of usernames and roles so a tool can intelligently address the learner on launch, and the exchange of assignments from a platform to an assessment tool and the subsequent scores back to a central gradebook. Watch the Get to Know LTI Advantage video.
LTI Services Build on Core LTI
Click for the Recommended LTI Adoption Roadmap
LTI Advantage Resources for IMS Members (login required)
LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage Reference Implementation
- Reference Implementation (RI): IMS members can now test your product(s) when implementing LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage using the provided Platform and Tool with the full set of services and messages. The Reference Implementation source code (written in Ruby) is also available to IMS Contributing Members. Contact Us if you are a Contributing Member and would like access.
- LTI Member Roundtable: monthly meeting recordings and resources
- LTI Advantage Certification FAQ
LTI 1.3 new optional services:
These new optional services work within the LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage framework to solve specific use cases or business needs. Currently, these new services are not included in LTI Advantage. You must be an IMS Contributing, Affiliate, or Learning Tools and Content Alliance member to access these Member Candidate Final draft documents.
Public Documents and Resources
LTI Core Specification
LTI Advantage Specifications
- Assignment and Grade Services v2.0
- Names and Role Provisioning Services v2.0
- NRPS OpenAPI Swagger view (coming soon)
- Deep Linking v2.0
- LTI Advantage Implementation Guide
- LTI Advantage Conformance Certification Guide
- LTI Migration Guide
LTI 1.3 Reference Implementation
- Reference Implementation - Provides a Platform and Tool with basic functionality to test your product(s) when implementing LTI 1.3.
An enhanced version of the Test Tool with the full set of LTI Advantage services and message types is available to IMS members.
IMS-wide Security Framework
LTI Security Update
- IMS LTI Security Update v1.0 - Final Release (22 July 2019) addresses a potential Cross-Site Request Forgery threat in earlier versions of LTI (v1.0 and v1.1.1).
LTI Resource Search
Previous Version Specification Documents
- LTI v1.1.1 (with Mentor Role)
- Deep Linking v1.0
- Names and Role Provisioning Service v1.0
- LTI Basic Outcomes v1.1
Previous Version Specification Documents
- VIEW ALL LTI and IMS specifications
LTI in Brief
The IMS Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standard prescribes a way to easily and securely connect learning applications and tools with platforms like learning management systems (LMS), portals and learning object repositories on your premise or in the cloud, in a secure and standard manner and without the need for expensive custom programming. Using LTI, if you have an interactive assessment application or virtual chemistry lab, it can be securely connected to your LMS with a few clicks. LTI is comprised of a central core and optional services to add optional features and functions. The LTI core establishes a secure connection and confirms the tool’s authenticity while the extensions add features like the exchange of assignment and grade data between an assessment tools and your LMS gradebook.
IMS Global has testing programs that enable products to be certified compliant with specific standards and features of the standards. For technology suppliers, participation in the IMS Global certification process is the fastest and most cost-effective way to achieve product integrations. For institutions, ensuring that your educational technology tools are IMS Global certified is the best way to establish a plug-and-play ecosystem, allowing your tools and content to work together seamlessly, giving you more choice, and reducing your total cost of ownership. IMS Global members have access to expert support to implement the standards prior to completing conformance certification. Learn more to begin taking advantage of the benefits of certification.
Remember to log into the site first to see a complete list of the resources available to you. Some resources are only available to IMS Global members. If you are an IMS Global member but do not have a login, you can create one here. If you cannot find what you need, try posting a message to the forum.
The following specifications may also be of interest: