To post messages, you must join the IMS Public Community (free).   |   You also can also join the Common Cartridge Alliance.
IMS GLC Public Forums and Resources
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Entourage Edge at Learning Impact
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/16/2010 09:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/16/2010 09:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RobAbel

It's been awhile since I've posted to this thread, despite the frenzy over the iPad launch. It's not that I'm disinterested, it's just that nothing has changed - the previous posts here already have nailed it in terms of what is occurring - namely the bar has been raised now for the reader devices to become more computers and app machines and that each major vendor with a direct link to consumers is relentlessly pursuing their individual proprietary platform strategies.

Also, as I have written here before, the hope for the education segment is that a new and upcoming provider will "break the mold" by implementing open standards like IMS Common Cartridge - that fit the needs of the education segment.

I'm very happy to report that we have one such provider - Entourage Edge - coming to our Learning Impact conference, May 17-20 in Long Beach, CA, USA. Entourage Edge is also giving away one of their e-Book reader "Dualbooks" at the conference to those that visit their booth and enter. Now, this is pretty neat because since this is a small conference - 250 people or so - you actually have a pretty good shot at winning.

The other important point to mention is that I expect that some of the institutional members of IMS will want to pilot the Edge - and IMS will help facilitate those discussions at the conference and beyond.

We have a way to go in terms of the evolution of these devices as they become more like the hybrid computers/eReaders that are needed. But, it is clear to me that a platform like the Edge is a way to see where this can really go from an institutional adoption perspective - as opposed to the direct to consumer iPad, Kindle, Nook, etc.

I look forward to seeing you at Learning Impact 2010! If you come you will find out from the leaders in digital education content and e-Books - such as CourseSmart, VitalSource, CafeScribe, Pearson, Cengage, McGraw-Hill, and Connexions about where things are really headed . . .

-Rob Abel
Statistics
3927 users are registered to the IMS GLC Public Forums and Resources forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

By participating in the forum, you agree to the abide by forum rules. You can view the IMS GLC Privacy Statement