To post messages, you must join the IMS Public Community (free).   |   You also can also join the Common Cartridge Alliance.
IMS GLC Public Forums and Resources
Decrease font size
Increase font size
IMS GLC Public Forums and Resources » Common Cartridge » Structure of a common cartridge
Topic Title: Structure of a common cartridge
Topic Summary: CC 1.1 and questions
Created On: 04/11/2012 05:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/11/2012 05:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
donotcross03

Hello, frankly speaking I am somewhat new to the industry and am currently still learning about elearning standards as AICC, SCORM, CC.

I did find the documentation regarding IMS CC implementation and the elements that are generally included in the CC. There are still however some things that are not clear to me and i would appreciate any help on this.

The system we have allows conversion of developed content to a CC form. Questions seem to work fine, rest of content - not really. I've tried finding sample CC packages and noticed that besides imsmanifest.xml, html files and something similar to images/media folder, packages seem to have different structure

1. Imsmanifest.xml - is that the key that makes the common cartridge package what it is? I have frequently found links to LTI but I still don't really get what these are
2. is there any kind of a formal structure of a package i.e. let's say besides the manifest file there should be folders:
- media folder with media elements
- html folders with html pages containing web content - text and media
- assessment folder with assessment xml file / files
- some CC I found contained additional folders "instructions", "PDF", "Flash"
- should there also be a folder for discussion topics if this element is included in the CC package?
3. Currently the only test environment we have is Blackboard. Would you have experience of loading CC packages in Blackboard. Do they always work well or have you noticed any issues?
4. Would anyone be able to suggest any additional LMS that could give a good option to test CC?

thanks
 04/13/2012 09:52 AM

Author Icon
JeffKahn

For a Common Cartridge, yes the manifest describes the content and its containment structure.

Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) is a run-time launch from one application to another, typically, a learning platform to a tool. The launch includes contextual information, user, role, context id, resource id, etc. A CC can contain a link that when activated preforms the launch.

There is no specific or required structure, but a common practice is to group content by type, say all the assessments together, or by content, say all of the Chapter 1 material.

I can help with using Blackboard to load a CC. We also offer or can arrange for testing access to hosted instances of Moodle, DesireToLearn, Canvas, ATutor, Agilix, and Jenzebar. There is more support for CC v1.0, although it is an inferior specification, than CC v1.1. We recommend people adopt CC v1.1 or v1.2.

Perhaps give me a call and we can review testing options.

Jeff Kahn

Office ++1.678.339.0674
jkahn@imsglobal.org
 04/13/2012 10:35 AM

Author Icon
donotcross03

Thanks, Jeff. you have really helped with the structure question - that's what i thought but was not sure of.

I will send you the few questions I have. I can't really call Atlanta today but if you have time next week, I would be able to
 08/29/2012 05:42 PM

Author Icon
bmettler

We currently use Microsoft Publisher to create our lab manuals which we then send to a company in India and have convert to CC packages. We would like to do the whole process in house and I'm looking in to Adobe FrameMaker to create our lab manuals instead. What I'm trying to figure out is how to go from FrameMaker to a final CC package? I'm totally green when it comes to CC packages and how to create them so this is all still a learning process for me. I know that you can export as several formats from FrameMaker including PDF, XML, and HTML so is there a resource that can show me step by step how I would take one of those formats and create a CC package from it?

Thanks,
Ben
Statistics
3472 users are registered to the IMS GLC Public Forums and Resources forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

By participating in the forum, you agree to the abide by forum rules. You can view the IMS GLC Privacy Statement