Sharebar?

LTI Test Configuration

LTI Test Configuration

I have 2 quick and simple questions related to the LTI test suite. First, my company uses two different servers: one for production (live) and one for staging (development and demonstrations). The former uses a domain name while the latter uses an IP address. I plan on running the LTI tests on the staging server so as to keep the fake data sent from 1EdTech separate and the LTI implementation off our production servers until it is production-ready (i.e. certified). Will this cause any problems with the certification process or will the results for our staging server be accepted for our production server since it is the same product?

Secondly, our implementation of LTI v2 uses a single-use authentication nonce in the URL that allows the user to authenticate themselves without needing to log into our system directly. There was a couple of different reasons why we chose this route; however, it seems like if I change the registration URL all tests will become invalidated and will have to be rerun. Is there any way to get around this without reworking the nonce system?

StephenVickers's picture

Re LTI Test Configuration

We certify the product not the server, so it will not matter if you use a staging server for the tests before delivering the same product to customers from a production server.

Your changing registration URL will indeed cause the system to reset existing tests.  I suspect this is only an issue for the tests of valid and invalid tool proxies, so I suggest that, for now, you run all the tests ignoring the invalid tool proxy test and submit those (you should be able to submit even if you have not passed all the tests - it is possible that you may need to have failed a test in order to do so, in which case just fail the invalid tool proxy test).  Then run the tests for the invalid tool proxy test and submit this separately.  Include a note of this exchange as the reason for what you have done.  Hopefully that will give you a workaround whilst I look to update the suite for your use case.

I couldn't figure out how to get the other tests to run without the first set of tests passing (they appear to be disabled if the first set cannot run). In the meantime I was able to change the single-use property of the nonce to allow X uses that I'll change back to 1 after the tests. However, I am now having problems with tests 1.4 and 1.5 and I'm not sure if the problem is my platform or the testing platform. The iframe those tests open appear to enter some kind of inifinite refresh loop and the tests neither pass nor fail. Nor am I given any feedback to determine what might be causing the problem. Is there some kind of log I can review?

StephenVickers's picture

There are no additional logs from our end to help with this.  All the errors and messages are displayed within the suite.  Perhaps the issue is caused by using an iframe in which case try checking the box to have the auite open a new window.  This will avoid any mixed content issues in the browser.  Also make sure you are accessing the suite using the same protocol as your application.