Sharebar?

OneRoster v1.1 API Enrollments Endpoint clarification

OneRoster v1.1 API Enrollments Endpoint clarification

I have a question regarding the Enrollments endpoint of OneRoster v1.1.

Is it expected that the Enrollments endpoint contain data for enrollments that occurred in the past, or would it be expected to only contain current enrollments.

For example, let's say a student was enrolled in a History class from 1/1/2020 to 3/15/2020 and in a Math class from 3/18/2020 to 6/15/2020. Let's assume today's date is 4/1/2020.

Would you expect the Enrollments endpoint to return only the Math class, or would you expect it to include both the History and Math classes.

This specific scenario did not seem to be clarified in the documentation, so I appreciate the clarification here. Thank you.

matt_richards's picture

This has always been a

This has always been a challenging point of philosophy of the OneRoster specification. The question I've always tried to answer is "is the data returned from the API supposed to be an accurate snapshot of right now or is it supposed to be all data relevant to the current school year.  For us at Infinite Campus we strive to make the API relevant to the entire school year wherever possible.  So, for things like enrollments that have start and endDates on them, we will continue to include end-dated records after their end date has lapsed up until the end of the school year.  However, records that don't have dates on them (for instance, the orgs collection on the User object in 1.1) we will drop off a record after the student has dropped out.

EXAMPLE
Student is enrolled in Fillmore Middle School

Student is taking Pre-Algebra

In this instance, the student would return in the /users end point with an org association pointing at Fillmore Middle School.  The student would have one record in the /enrollments endpoint for Pre-Algebra.

Then, if the student drops out on December 1st:

We will continue to return the student in the /users endpoint, but they would have an empty orgs collection in their user object.  We would continue to return their enrollment record for pre-algebra and include an endDate of 12-01