Sharebar?

Questions on the Demographics file pertaining to sex/gender.

We are the Student Information System and these questions are geared towards how we should handle these situations and how the vendor consuming the data should handle these.

Question 1 : sex/gender column in the csv demographics file.
The column for sex/gender only accounts for 2 options (male|female). We are in NJ and there is an additional sex/gender (Non-Binary) that is no included in theIMS OneRoster®: Specification 1EdTech Final Release Version 1.1.1.
Should this be included in the specification? How do we handle this? Should we send a blank in the file?

Question 2: Sex/Gender for employees (especially inactive employees) when information is not available?
The demographics file has a column for sex/gender. The issue that we are having is we send all employees active and inactive on the csv export in the demographics file.
Many times the inactive employee does not have this information. When this information is not available (ex. teacher) should we send blank and the vendor using this information should be able to handle this?

Question 3. Should we not be sending inactive employees in the export?

matt_richards's picture

Hi there,

The first two questions were addressed in OneRoster 1.2.  The enumeration for Demographics.sex was extended to included the tokens "other" and "unspecified".  In order to maintain backwards compatibility these values were not back-ported to OneRoster 1.1.  If you are able, I'd encourage you to consider adopting 1.2

The third question has a good deal of caveats and what-ifs.  The specification isn't great at defining what the entire scope of the API should be.  It's often not clear if the data coming from the API should be relevant data as of this moment, as of this school year, or for all time.  I can tell you anecdoctally that at Infinite Campus we try to make the API relevant for to the current school year at large.  So, we include all users that were active at any point during the current school year, but once the next school year rolls around they drop off the API.  So, for instance, a teacher that leaves a school district mid-year will continue to return through the API through the end of the school year, and then will stop appearing in the API once the next school year starts.  I'd be curious to hear what other API providers are doing for inactive employees.

One Roster 1.2 Version

Hi Matt,

thank you so much for responding quickly to my questions.

One more questions:
I checked in the IMS global website and there is no information on One Roster 1.2? specification??
Can you send me a link to where I can fin this?

the last version and updated I see if from 12/30/2020
IMS Final Release
Version 1.1.1
Date Issued: 31st December, 2020
Latest version: http://www.imsglobal.org/lis/

Version 1.2 should be listed as its the next version in line from what I see?

My development team would definitely like to look at this.

Thank You

Submitted by ckievit on Fri, 2021-01-22 19:14

Hi Matt,

thank you so much for responding quickly to my questions.

One more questions:
I checked in the IMS global website and there is no information on One Roster 1.2? specification??
Can you send me a link to where I can fin this?

the last version and updated I see if from 12/30/2020
IMS Final Release
Version 1.1.1
Date Issued: 31st December, 2020
Latest version: http://www.imsglobal.org/lis/

Version 1.2 should be listed as its the next version in line from what I see?

My development team would definitely like to look at this.

Thank You

matt_richards's picture

OneRoster 1.2 is still in

OneRoster 1.2 is still in candidate final state, so it is only accessible via the IMS Github.  Is your organization an IMS member?  If so, we can help you get set up with Github access.