Sharebar?

Clarification Request: Plurality of Gap Match

Clarification Request: Plurality of Gap Match

Reading https://www.imsglobal.org/question/qtiv2p1/imsqti_infov2p1.html#element1..., a question of interpretation comes up around the statement "Each gap can have at most one choice associated with it." Does that mean that the student is only allowed to supply one token for the gap (i.e. the gap won't take more than one token) or is the answer key only allowed to supply one possible correct token for the gap?

mmckell's picture

I woul interpret that as

I woul interpret that as saying in effect that there is only one right answer for each gap, which is supported by each gap generating a directedPair ("A directedPair value represents a pair of identifiers corresponding to a directed association between two objects. The two identifiers correspond to the source and destination objects.").

The response variable can be of multiple cardinality, but that is because you can have multiple gaps. 

What is initially confusing I think is the sentence "The maximum occurrence of the choices is controlled by the matchMax attribute of gapChoice." which seems to imply that if matchMax > 1 then you can use a choice twice, which you can, just not with the same gap.

So if I had 2 choices "True" and "False" I could use machMax > 1 to allow me to fill e.g. 5 gaps with the appropriate one of the two available choices.

The spec is silent over what other behavior is allowed, e.g. it doesn't explicitly say that the user should be prevented from putting two choices in the same gap, but neither does it say that an implementation must support that behavior. You could in principle I suppose even report this by adding 2 directedPairs to the responseVariable ( presuming that it is of multiple cardinality ) but in my opinion that would be associating more than one choice with a gap which is disallowed by the sentence the poster highlighted: "Each gap can have at most one choice associated with it"