Learning Information Services & OneRoster™
The OneRoster™ standard is designed to be a subset of the full Learning Information Services standard that focuses on the Schools needs to exchange roster information and grades. The standard includes both SOAP and REST-based bindings make it quicker and easier to implement the exchange of information about people, membership, courses and outcomes. In addition to the standard, we have included a format for CSV files that are typically exchanged between the school and the vendor to populate the roster information needed to gain access to learning tools, portals and learning environments.
Feedback on the specification is welcomed in our public forums.
OneRoster v1 Specification - Final Specification
To become OneRoster certified, join the EduERP Alliance.
Learning Information Services
The Learning Information Services (LIS) specification is the definition of how systems manage the exchange of information that describes people, groups, memberships, courses and outcomes within the context of learning. The LIS v2.x specification supersedes the IMS GLC Enterprise Services v1.0 specification. The LIS specification is based upon the aggregation of the Person Management, Group Management, Membership Management, Course Management, Outcomes Management and the Bulk Data Exchange Management Services specifications. The LIS v2.0 can be implemented using both a Web Services infrastructure (based upon a SOAP http transport mechanism) and the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP). An implementation is not required to support each and every service. Neither is an implementation required to support each and every operation. Interoperability is best defined through the use of a Domain Profile. This specification includes such a profile for Higher Education. Interoperability is supported between systems that implement the same profile. The LIS documentation consists of:
- The LIS Specification - describes how the LIS is composed using its six component services;
- Information Models - these documents contain the normative description of the various service definitions, data structures and their relationships. Each of the six services has its own Information Model;
- Binding documents - each of the Information models has an associated WSDL binding document. Some of the services also have an LDAP binding document;
- Best Practice & Implementation Guide - this is intended to provide vendors with an overall understanding of the IMS GLC LIS Specification, the relationship of the specification with other IMS GLC specifications, and a best practices guide derived from experiences of those using the specification. The guide also includes a several actual examples that describe how vendors can make the best use of the IMS LIS Specification;
- Core Profiles & Conformance Specification - a set of profiles of the LIS specification has been created. The Core Profiles identify the minimal subset of the functionality that must be supported by systems developed for deployment in HE. These Profiles (there is a Core plus several Additions) define the set of operations and data models that must be supported by the systems supporting the set of services within the LIS. Each profile contains its Conformance Specification against which compliant systems are tested;
- The Binding Files - one of the outputs of the LIS specification is the set of Web Services Description Language/XML Schema Definition (WSDL/XSD) binding files. Each service has its own set of WSDL/XSD files. It is these files that are used by code-generation tools to create the source code that handles the SOAP messages and XML data structures. Some small changes are required to the WSDL files to map the SOAP messages to the actual server-based implementation of the Web Service. Each of the services has a set of vocabulary files that contain the set of default vocabularies defined in the Information Model. The vocabulary files are instances of the IMS GLC Vocabulary Data Exchange (VDEX) specification.
Public comments and questions may be posted at the LIS Forum
To become LIS conformance certified, join the EduERP Alliance.
IMS Learning Information Services Specification - Version 2.0.1 Final Specification (30 September 2013)
The Learning Information Services v2.0.1 corrects some minor errors in the v2.0 specification and updates the Core Profile definition. The specification document set contains information models, binding documents, best practice and implementation guidance, profile and conformance specification, and supporting files.
IMS Learning Information Services Overview
IMS Learning Information Services Specification
Learning Information Services Core Profile Adoption Overview
Learning Information Services Core Profile
Learning Information Services Best Practice and Implementation Guide
IMS Person Management Service Information Model
IMS Course Management Service Information Model
IMS Group Management Service Information Model
IMS Outcomes Management Service Information Model
IMS Membership Management Service Information Model
IMS Bulk Data Exchange Management Service Information Model
IMS Person Management Service WSDL/XSD Binding
IMS Course Management Service WSDL/XSD Binding
IMS Group Management Service WSDL/XSD Binding
IMS Outcomes Management Service WSDL/XSD Binding
IMS Membership Management Service WSDL/XSD Binding
IMS Bulk Data Exchange Management Service WSDL/XSD Binding
IMS Learning Information Services Specification - Version 2.0.1 Final Specification - All documents
IMS Learning Information Services Specification - Version 2.0.1 Final Specification - - Schemas
IMS Members, including LIS Alliance participants, have access to the full set of XSDs, WSDLs, UML diagrams and resourcs, vocabularies, and the core profile files. They are available in the LIS Alliance.
WSDLs/XSDs (combined into a single file):
The WSDL bindings are for a Synchronous SOAP implementation only. The WSDL files, expressed using WSDLv1.1, are combined WSDL/XSD files:
The XSDs for each data structure for use with the BDEMS:
The PMS vocabularies are:
- The type of formatted name vocabulary formatnmetypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of name vocabulary nametypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of name part-name vocabulary – partnamevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of address vocabulary addresstypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The address part vocabulary addresspartvocabularyv1p0p2.xml;
- The type of contact information vocabulary contactinfotypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of demographics vocabulary demographicstypevocabulartv1p0p2.xml;
- The type of representations vocabulary representationtypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The demographics information vocabulary demographicsinfovocabulartv1p0.xml;
- The type of enterprise system role vocabulary epriserolestypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of institution role vocabulary institutionroletypevocabularyv1p0p2.xml;
- The type of system role vocabulary systemrolevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The enrollment information vocabulary enrollmentinfovocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of agent vocabulary agenttypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- The type of event date vocabulary eventdatevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Extension data-types vocabulary extensionvocabularyv1p0p2.xml;
- Language codes languagecodesvocabularyv1p0p2.xml. The set of codes used to identifiy the language for a string (based upon RFC4646).
The CMS vocabularies are:
- Status values vocabulary statusvocabularyv1p0.xml. The permitted statrus codes;
- Exension data-types vocabulary extensionvocabularyv1p0.xml. The set of data-types for the extensions;
- Language codes languagecodesvocabularyv1p0p2.xml. The set of codes used to identifiy the langage for a string (based upon RFC4646).
The OMS vocabularies are:
- Types of LineItem vocabulary lineitemtypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Status of Result vocabulary statusofresultvocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Replace Status Code vocabulary replacestatuscoesvocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Exension data-types vocabulary extensionvocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Language codes – languagecodesvocabularyv1p0p2.xml. The set of codes used to identifiy the langage for a string (based upon RFC4646).
The MMS vocabularies are:
- The set of role types that a Person can have for their Memberships vocabulary roletypevocabularyv1p0p2.xml;
- The set of sub-role types that a Person can have for their Memberships vocabulary subrolevocabularyv1p0p2.xml;
- Extension data-types vocabulary extensionvocabularyv1p0p2.xml;
- Language codes – languagecodesvocabularyv1p0p2.xml. The set of codes used to identifiy the language for a string (based upon RFC4646).
The BDEMS vocabularies are:
- Parameter types vocabulary parametertypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Filter types vocabulary filtertypevocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Filter types for filter objects vocabulary filtervalueobjectvocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Transaction failure status codes vocabulary transactionfailstatusvocabularyv1p0.xml;
- Announce failure reports vocabulary announcefailurereportvocabularyv1p0.xml.