IMS Question & Test Interoperability® Specification
The IMS Question & Test Interoperability (QTI®) specification enables the exchange of item, test and results data between authoring tools, item banks, test construction tools, learning systems and assessment delivery systems.
A conformance certification program and online validation tool have also been developed and deployed. The QTI Evolution & Certification Committee maintains the QTI and APIP conformance tests. Members, Affiliates and e-Assessment Alliance participants have access to the tests in the eAssessment Alliance.
Organizations procuring QTI or APIP products are strongly encouraged to require IMS conformance certification for all such products to ensure the highest levels of interoperability are achieved across the educational community. Products that have achieved conformance certification are listed and updated at Conformance Certification Status.
The following document is a primer on conformance and the relationship between QTI v2.1 and APIP v1.0. It is highly recommended that this document be read prior to reading the other specification documents: IMS Assessment Primer
For information about QTI, join the discussion at: Question & Test Interoperability Forum
IMS Question and Test Interoperability v2.1 Final Specification (31 August 2012)
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Overview
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Implementation Guide
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Assessment Test, Section, and Item Information Model
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability XML Binding
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Results Reporting
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Integration Guide - Under revision to update samples
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Meta-data and Usage Data
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Migration Guide
Version 2.1 - Final Specification - All Files
Version 2.1 Final Specification - Examples and Schemas
The XSD files are:
- QTI Assessment, Section and Item XSD – imsqti_v2p1.xsd
- QTI Metadata XSD – imsqti_metadata_v2p1.xsd
- QTI Usage Data XSD – imsqti_usagedata_v2p1.xsd
- QTI Result Reporting XSD – imsqti_result_v2p1.xsd
Version 2.1 Final Specification - Glossaries
Version 2.1 Final Specification - Response Processing Templates
IMS Question and Test Interoperability v2.0 Final Specification
IMS Question and Test Interoperability v2.0 Final Specification has three key objectives:
(1) To address relevant issues deferred from v1.0: a new information model has been defined with a new interaction model and a profile of XHTML to replace static material. Authors will now have more control over the behaviour and positioning of feedback and support for cloning using item templates has been added.
(2) To define a method for putting QTI into content packages: a new document has also been created dedicated to meta-data and usage-data (item statistics)
(3) To describe a method for using QTI with Learning Design, Simple Sequencing and the CMI data model
The key document to review is the Overview which describes the purpose of the other documents in the package. The Information Model document contains the detailed information, examples are provided and documented through the Implementation Guide. For those familiar with version 1.x the Migration Guide describes the differences, element by element. An experimental migration script has also been provided.
It should be noted that this specification is focusing on the Item. It is not updating Section and Assessment from v1.x, see the Overview document for more details.
Version 2 - Final Specification - HTML
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Overview
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Information Model
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item XML Binding
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Implementation Guide
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Conformance Guide
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Integration Guide
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Meta-data and Usage Data
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Item: Migration Guide
Version 2.0 - Final Specification - PDF
Version 2.0 -IMS XML Examples and Schemas
- Download all the Examples, Schemas and DTDs (zip file)
Version 2.0 -Response Processing Templates
The IMS Question & Test Interoperability Specification provides proposed standard XML language for describing questions and tests. The specification has been produced to allow the interoperability of content within assessment systems. This will be useful for publishers, certification authorities, teachers, trainers, publishers and creators of assessments, and the software vendors whose tools they use. Authoring tools, and publishers, may publish XML and this data can be imported into other authoring tools and delivery systems. An introduction to help you with your initial learning curve has been produced in the form of a white paper.
An Addendum to IMS QTI v1.2 was reviewed by the IMS Technical Advisory Board in March 2003. This addendum describes amendments that should be made by adopters of the IMS QTI Specification V1.2, thereby creating the IMS QTI V1.2.1 Specification. The differences between the V1.2 and the V1.2.1 specifications are limited to:
- Typographic corrections - corrections of spelling mistakes, wrong references, phraseology, etc.;
- Editorial additions - the provision of improved or new descriptions to clarify the specification;
- Functional corrections - changes to the functionality to correct mistakes and to clarify the intended capability of the specification.
Version 1.2.1 - Final Specification- Addenum - HTML
Version 1.2.1 - Final Specification - PDF
Version 1.2.1 -IMS XML Examples, and DTDs
- Download all the Examples and DTDs (zip file)
- QTI v1.2.1 Core ASI DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Section ASI DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Full ASI DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Full ASI No Comments DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Item ASI No Comments DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Lite ASI No Comments DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Full RES DTD
- QTI v1.2.1 Full RES No Comments DTD
Version 1.2 - Final Specification - HTML
- IMS Question & Test Interoperability Overview
- IMS Question & Test ASI Best Practice Guide
- IMS Question & Test ASI XML Binding Specification
- IMS Question & Test ASI Information Model
- IMS Question & Test ASI Outcomes Processing Specification
- IMS Question & Test ASI Selection and Ordering Specification
- IMS Question & Test Results Reporting Best Practice and Implementation Guide
- IMS Question & Test Results Reporting XML Binding Guide
- IMS Question & Test Results Reporting Information Model
Version 1.2 - Final Specification - PDF
Version 1.2 -IMS XML Examples, XSDs and DTDs
- Download the Examples (zip file)
- Download the XSDs, and DTDs (zip file)
Below are DTDs for IBM. For the full set of DTDs (Unix, Mac and PC) them from the specification download page.
< >QTI ASI Core DTD No Comments - ims_qtiasiv1p2.dtdQTI Full DTD - ims_qtiasiv1p2.dtdQTI Full DTD No Comments - ims_qtiasiv1p2.dtdQTI Item DTD No Comments - ims_qtiasiv1p2.dtdQTI Section DTD No Comments - ims_qtiasiv1p2.dtddownload them from the specification download page.
- * Note the v1.2 XSD's are now deprecated. Use v1.2.1 xsd's instead*
Version 1.2 Lite- Final Specification - HTML
Version 1.2 Lite- Final Specification - PDF
Version 1.2 Lite- DTDs
Below is DTD for IBM. For the full set of DTDs (Unix, Mac and PC) them from the specification download page.