Sharebar?

Does AGS support "offline" updates for Score and Result?

Does AGS support "offline" updates for Score and Result?

For LTI Advantage and looking at the LTI spec for the Assignment and Grade Services (AGS), I wanted to confirm that all interactions with the AGS must be done in the context of an active user session. Specifically, is it correct that all the updates for Scores and Results are initiated by user interaction (instructor)?

I ask since many web-enabled services have support for features such as web hooks for notifying partner integrations of changes, and I wanted to confirm that at this time, LTI Advantage does not have a feature such as this.

I am aware of OneRoster v1.1 can provide CSV and API specifications for updating scores, as long as both parties are using it.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm not an expert, but my

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that no, the AGS does not need to be done in the context of an active user session.

Using AGS doesn't require an active user session, it requires a service token. Getting a service token requires that you have the URL for the platform's token service and your client_id with that platform to request a service token, both of which you should have stored.

Sending a grade requires the platform user_id, which you could store on launch or use the roster service to lookup, and the lineitem value, which you could store on launch if provided, or use the lineitems service to lookup. But as long as you have those values stored, you should be able to do the update outside of an active user session. You would want to check the scopes on launch to make sure you have access to these services before storing them.

This is very helpful; it

This is very helpful; it makes sense that a Tool has access to the token URL. We've not yet made a final decision on some areas of design, but the information is helpful.

Re: Does AGS support "offline" updates for Score and Result?

As with all the other LTI services, a tool can make service requests at any time; e.g. from a student's user session, from an instructor's user session, from a cron job, etc.