Higher Education Playbook Resources
The Higher Education Playbook is intended to help institutions streamline the learning curve around open standards and creating an integrated plug-and-play edtech ecosystem. The Playbook is designed to be an easy-to-use reference and resource center for academic and IT leaders, curriculum and education technologists, IT specialists, and development teams. These resources are created by institutional leaders of the IMS Global HED Innovation Leadership Networks. They are organized by the categories that guide the work of the communities and complement IMS Global technical work.
Visit the HED Community page to learn more.
- At a bare minimum, institutions should require IMS Global conformance certification when purchasing new educational technology or renewing contracts. The IMS Global Certified Product Directory is the official listing of products that have passed IMS Global interoperability testing. Using these products will enable your institution to achieve the benefits associated with IMS Global. Products that are listed in this directory are guaranteed to meet the IMS Global standards for which they have passed testing. If you have experienced an integration issue with a product listed here IMS Global will work with the supplier to resolve the problem. If a product is not listed here, it has either not passed IMS Global certification testing or its certification has expired.
- A Brief Primer on Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI®) conformance for end-user institutions, faculty, and buyers of third-party services and tools for integration into Learning Platforms.
- Suggested LTI® Requirements for RFP & Procurement Agreements
- Suggested Caliper Analytics® Requirements for Institutional RFP & Procurement Agreements
- Sample RFP Addendum specifying certified Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
- Enhancing Accessibility Through IMS Global Learning Standards
- LTI Integration + Caliper MediaEvent Metric Profile
- Why Institutions Need to Care About Learning Analytics Data and Caliper Analytics®
Research & Development
- IMS Global Accessibility Key Principles for Digital eText Materials (EPUB) - A public draft articulating nine principles for institutions to consider when adopting and using digital course materials to ensure accessibility equity for all students.
- IMS Global Learning Data & Analytics Key Principles - A document articulating eight principles for institutions to consider when implementing technology for the collection and use of learning data.
- Elias, Mirette., Lohmann, Steffen., & Auer, Soren. (November 2016). Towards an Ontology-based Representation of Accessibility Profiles for Learners.
Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Educational Knowledge Management, Bologna, Italy, November 19-23, 2016, volume-1780, 51 - 59. Retrieved from http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1780/paper5.pdf.
- This paper was presented at the Second International Workshop on Educational Knowledge Management, Bologna, Italy, November 19-23, 2016. The authors propose to use and extend accessibility standards by through an ontology that represent accessibility knowledge and requirements for learning context using the standards of IMS Global. Section 3 of the paper addresses their use of the IMS Global Learner Information Package Accessibility and the Access for All standard.
- A New Learning Model Paired with a New Kind of Transcript—Digital Style - A framework for extended transcripts: pilot implementation and results (April 2017). Joellen Evernham Shendy, Associate Vice Provost & Registrar, University of Maryland University College, and Insiya Bream, Assistant Vice Provost, Registrar Strategic Operations, University of Maryland University College.
- From Adaptive to Adaptable: The Next Generation for Personalized Learning - A paper on leveraging IMS Global Learning Consortium standards in a more cohesive way when implementing an Adaptive Learning system.
- What is LTI and LTI 2? - This brief video explains in basic terms the fundamentals of LTI and the differences between LTI versions.
- The Yellow Brick Road of LTI - Outlines the various versions of LTI and their functionalities, several suggested paths for upgrading, and the benefits.
- LTI 2 Introduction
- LTI Fundamentals FAQ: An FAQ designed to answer some of the basic, non-technical questions about LTI, explain its benefits, and clarify information about what LTI does and what it does not do.
- Ways to get involved with Open Badges and connect with the Open Badges community
- An overview of LTI and LTI Extensions