The Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ (CLR Standard™) is the new generation of secure and verifiable learning and employment records supporting all nature of academic and workplace recognition and achievements including courses, competencies and skills and employer-based achievements and milestones. The CLR Standard leverages the Open Badges standard and is compatible with the W3C Verifiable Credentials and the Credential Engine Registry.
Questions about Open Badges and CLR?
Recommended by AACRAO, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ from 1EdTech is a technical specification designed to support traditional academic programs, co-curricular and competency-based education as well as employer-based learning and development—in any domain where it's important to capture and communicate a learner's and worker's achievements in verifiable, digital form. Designed to be used, curated, and controlled by the learner, the CLR Standard™ is a modern and web-friendly interoperable learner record structured for easy understanding yet flexible enough to support a wide range of use cases to meet the needs of learners and workers, registrars and employers.
Transformative in its potential across education and workforce the CLR Standard™ is the product of five years' efforts by 1EdTech, its members, and partners in the community. The CLR Standard leverages the Open Badges standard and is compatible with the W3C Verifiable Credentials and the Credential Engine Registry (see quickstart Guidance). CLR Standard™ has onboard verifiability, but for an added degree of permanence, implementers may choose to authenticate ownership with a blockchain solution. 1EdTech's Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ is a verifiable, secure learning and employment record for the 21st century.
The Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ (CLR Standard™) is part of 1EdTech's digital credentials portfolio of standards that also includes Competencies and Academic Standards Exchange® (CASE®) and Open Badges.
Current Specification Documents
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 Final Specification
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 Implementation Guide
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 Conformance Certification Guide
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 OpenAPI (Swagger UI)
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 JSON Schema
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 JSON-LD Context
Future Specification Documents
- Introduction to Comprehensive Learner Record
- Questions about LER vs CLR?
- New: AACRAO's CLR Implementation Guide Released
- Getting Started With Your CLR - 1EdTech Webinars for Developers (video, 37 min.)
- Public Discussion Forum (open to all; free 1EdTech login required)
- Case Study - UMUC: A New Learning Model Paired with a New Kind of Transcript—Digital Style
- Presentation - Achieving Interoperability with 1EdTech Competency and CLR (Presentation by 1EdTech members at 2017 CBExchange)
- Student Learning Data Model
The resources below are available to 1EdTech members. If your organization is a 1EdTech member but you do not have a login, you can create one here. Remember to log into imsglobal.org first to access the complete list of resources available to you.
- CLR Technical Project Group
- CLR Conformance Certification system access
- CLR Consumer and Provider reference implementations
- CLR Builder and CLR Wallet prototype web applications for creating (Builder), collecting (Wallet) and sharing CLRs
- CLR specification repository
Student Learning Data Model
- The 1EdTech Student Learning Data Model visualizes a digital ecosystem interconnected with real-time data. Log in with your 1EdTech member credentials to access specification-level Mapping and Discovery in the tool.
Viewing Comprehensive Learner Records
Applications that support Comprehensive Learner Record can visually render the underlying data in the form that best meets their learner's needs. The example below is one user experience, yours can be totally unique while still using the CLR as its data foundation.
Example: University of Maryland University College pilot
The current 1EdTech work on the Comprehensive Learner Record standard began with early projects around competency-based education which led to a draft standard for the extended transcript, the forerunner to CLR. In 2015, the 1EdTech CBE Workgroup took on five common issues in competency-based education, based on research conducted with 35 C-BEN institutions. The use cases selected involved the management of essential competency data and the exchange of CBE information between systems in an institutions' technical environment. The project is led by contributing member institutions and brings together designers and product architects from major software suppliers and innovative new entrants to collaborate on the data standards needed to facilitate the CBE data exchange.
5 Pilot Use Cases
- Manage Competencies in an integrated database (including versions and course relationships as needed)
- Report Evaluation Results
- Provide Non-Term Program Information
- Capture Student-Faculty Interaction
- Publish a CBE eTranscript
Extended Transcript Phase 1: Pilot Implementation and Results
Extended Transcript Phase 2: Achievements Records Standard and SkillsCenter Search™
1EdTech is leading educational institutions of all types to put in place a new architecture to make the production and delivery of innovative educational models easier. Contact Us to learn more about the 1EdTech Digital Credentials program and how your institution or company can become involved with working groups and leadership networks.
Are Your Products 1EdTech certified?
1EdTech has testing programs that enable products to be certified compliant with specific standards and features of the standards. For technology suppliers, participation in the 1EdTech certification process is the fastest and most cost-effective way to achieve product integrations. For institutions, ensuring that your educational technology tools are 1EdTech certified is the best way to establish a plug-and-play ecosystem, allowing your tools and content to work together seamlessly, giving you more choice, and reducing your total cost of ownership. 1EdTech members have access to expert support to implement the standards prior to completing conformance certification. Learn more to begin taking advantage of the benefits of certification.