The Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ (CLR Standard™) is the new generation of secure and verifiable learning and employment records supporting all nature of academic and workplace recognition and achievements including courses, competencies and skills and employer-based achievements and milestones.
Questions about LER vs CLR?
Recommended by AACRAO, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ from IMS Global is a technical specification designed to support traditional academic programs, co-curricular and competency-based education as well as employer-based learning and development—in any domain where it's important to capture and communicate a learner's and worker's achievements in verifiable, digital form. Designed to be used, curated, and controlled by the learner, the IMS CLR Standard™ is a modern and web-friendly interoperable learner record structured for easy understanding yet flexible enough to support a wide range of use cases to meet the needs of learners and workers, registrars and employers.
Transformative in its potential across education and workforce the CLR Standard™ is the product of five years' efforts by IMS, its members, and partners in the community. The CLR Standard leverages the Open Badges standard and is compatible with the W3C Verifiable Credentials and the Credential Engine Registry (see quickstart Guidance). CLR Standard™ has onboard verifiability, but for an added degree of permanence, implementers may choose to authenticate ownership with a blockchain solution. IMS Global's Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ is a verifiable, secure learner record for the 21st century.
The Comprehensive Learner Record Standard™ (CLR Standard™) is part of IMS's digital credentials portfolio of standards that also includes Competencies and Academic Standards Exchange® (CASE®) and Open Badges.
Current Specification Documents
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 Final Specification
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 Implementation Guide
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 Conformance Certification Guide
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 OpenAPI (Swagger UI)
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 JSON Schema
- CLR Standard™ 1.0 JSON-LD Context
- Introduction to Comprehensive Learner Record
- Questions about LER vs CLR?
- New: AACRAO's CLR Implementation Guide Released
- Getting Started With Your CLR - IMS Webinars for Developers (video, 37 min.)
- Public Discussion Forum (open to all; free IMS login required)
- Case Study - UMUC: A New Learning Model Paired with a New Kind of Transcript—Digital Style
- Presentation - Achieving Interoperability with IMS Global Competency and CLR (Presentation by IMS members at 2017 CBExchange)
- Student Learning Data Model
The resources below are available to IMS Global members. If your organization is an IMS Global member but you do not have a login, you can create one here. Remember to log into imsglobal.org first to access the complete list of resources available to you.
- CLR Technical Project Group
- CLR Conformance Certification system access
- CLR Consumer and Provider reference implementations
- CLR Builder and CLR Wallet prototype web applications for creating (Builder), collecting (Wallet) and sharing CLRs
- CLR specification repository
Student Learning Data Model
- The IMS Student Learning Data Model visualizes a digital ecosystem interconnected with real-time data. Log in with your IMS member credentials to access specification-level Mapping and Discovery in the tool.
Viewing Comprehensive Learner Records
Applications that support Comprehensive Learner Record can visually render the underlying data in the form that best meets their learner's needs. The example below is one user experience, yours can be totally unique while still using the CLR as its data foundation.
Example: University of Maryland University College pilot
The current IMS work with on the Comprehensive Learner Record standard began with early projects around competency-based education which led to a draft standard for the extended transcript, the forerunner to CLR. In 2015, the IMS Global CBE Workgroup took on five common issues in competency-based education, based on research conducted with 35 C-BEN institutions. The use cases selected involved the management of essential competency data and the exchange of CBE information between systems in an institutions' technical environment. The project is led by contributing member institutions and brings together designers and product architects from major software suppliers and innovative new entrants to collaborate on the data standards needed to facilitate the CBE data exchange.
5 Pilot Use Cases
- Manage Competencies in an integrated database (including versions and course relationships as needed)
- Report Evaluation Results
- Provide Non-Term Program Information
- Capture Student-Faculty Interaction
- Publish a CBE eTranscript
Extended Transcript Phase 1: Pilot Implementation and Results
Extended Transcript Phase 2: Achievements Records Standard and SkillsCenter Search™
IMS Global is leading educational institutions of all types to put in place a new architecture to make the production and delivery of innovative educational models easier. Contact Us to learn more about the IMS Global Digital Credentials Initiative and how your institution or company can become involved with working groups and leadership networks.
Join the Talent Continuum
The Talent Continuum is an expert advisory council for IMS digital credentials standards. Bringing industry and academia innovators together to help remove silos between learning oranizations and the workforce. Get invloved today, learn more here.
Are Your Products IMS Global certified?
IMS Global has testing programs that enable products to be certified compliant with specific standards and features of the standards. For technology suppliers, participation in the IMS Global certification process is the fastest and most cost-effective way to achieve product integrations. For institutions, ensuring that your educational technology tools are IMS Global certified is the best way to establish a plug-and-play ecosystem, allowing your tools and content to work together seamlessly, giving you more choice, and reducing your total cost of ownership. IMS Global members have access to expert support to implement the standards prior to completing conformance certification. Learn more to begin taking advantage of the benefits of certification.