IMS Alliances are for the purpose of ensuring interoperability in practice and keeping implementing organizations current on the evolution of a specific set of IMS standards. IMS Alliances provide organizations who want access to development resources, testing suites and conformance certification for a specific set of IMS standards to ensure reliable integrations with platforms. IMS provides Alliance membersthis support at a fraction of the cost of custom integrations and, most importantly, steps in on an ongoing basis to resolve issues that arise.
Under the Alliances, IMS provides extensive support to implement conformant products. When testing is completed, IMS issues a conformance certification mark that IMS stands behind. What this means is that IMS will get involved directly in any issues that arise and work across organizations to resolve.
Joining in the EduERP Alliance provides access to the development resources and certification for the Learning Information Services (LIS), OneRoster® and Edu-API specifications. Becoming an IMS member is the only way to achieve official IMS conformance for these certifications. Conformance seals are only issued to and maintained with current IMS Alliance, Affiliate, and Contributing Members. IMS does this in order to deliver on interoperability in practice on an ongoing basis. This benefits large and small organizations alike in creating and maintaining a vital, innovative, and open marketplace for educational technology products!
Learning Information Services
The aim of the Learning Information Services (LIS) specification is to enable learning application interoperability. The key objectives are to enable the management and manipulation of:
- Information about People - to provide data exchange about people who are participating in learning;
- The enrollment of People on Courses - to control the exchange of information for people attending courses;
- Organizational structures - to control the exchange of information for people attending courses;
- Course structure information - to provide data exchange for information about taught courses;
- Grade-book information - to provide data exchange for outcomes information;
- Batch processing - to provide initialization and synchronization transfer of very large amounts of data.
Edu-API is the latest in the IMS family of “academic enterprise” specifications. Driving off the comprehensive modeling of Learning Information Services (LIS) and leveraging the extensive history and experience of past efforts like OneRoster and LTI, Edu-API will allow for the standardized exchange of data between the transactional systems that manage higher education administration and teaching and learning. That means not only increased efficiency on campus, but the facilitation of the development of a new generation of smart, sustainable apps, personalized based on data about the student shared in a secure and responsible way.
Benefits of Alliance Membership
- Ability to apply for OneRoster and Learning Information Services conformance certification. Certification for the Edu-API standard will be available once the standard is published.
- Promotion of compliant products and services in the online product and services catalog for organizations that join and maintain membership in the Alliance.
- Use of an approved product mark for appropriately tested products in accordance with IMS guidelines.
- OneRoster, Learning Information Services and Edu-API news updates.
- Your organizations name is listed on the Members Page under the Alliance Members section to recognize your leadership as an IMS member.
- Ability to use relevant IMS trademarked terms on your web site and marketing materials with prior approval from firstname.lastname@example.org and in accordance with IMS guidelines.
- Opportunity to tap into the developers network via the EduERP Alliance Forum for discussion with peers to gain assistance with implementing a specific set of IMS standards.
- Access to member-only development, testing and conformance resources.
- Preferred early access to new test cases, changes and new release for the standards associated with your Alliance membership.
- Online support to resolve integration and interoperability problems encountered with compliant products.
- Ability to participate in the TrustED Apps Program.
- Attend the annual virtual Technical Congress to get the latest overview and updats of all IMS technical activities and a preview of future IMS product development.
- Attend member-only webinars and roundtable discussions.
- Discounted registration fees for the Learning Impact Conference.
- Technical support for end-user organizations implementing standards from IMS staff and other IMS members via online forums.
- Online support for end-user organizations in including requirements for open standards in writing RFPs, tenders, and procurements.
- Receipt of the IMS Members Dispatch, a members-only monthly newsletter.
Join the EduERP Alliance
Join the EduERP Alliance and begin taking advantage of the benefits described above. Sign up now online.
For more information, contact us.