1EdTech GLC Strategic Leadership Resources
Resources posted in this section are concerned with improving student outcomes, retention, attainment, and, therefore, institutional or school district performance. Topics include items such as progress in curriculum standards, establishing and assessing meaningful learning outcomes, use of electronic portfolios, new methods to integrate formative and summative assessment, institutional reporting and analytics, and student/parent relationship management.
(Some resources require that you join the 1EdTech GLC Public Forums and Community to gain access and some resources are reserved for 1EdTech Affiliate Members or higher).
- Today's Apps Changing Teaching & Learning - April 2014, Article Format: PDF - SLI15-042414
Learn about 1EdTech' Connected Learning App Initiative and first ever App Challenge.
- What Will Define Tomorrow's Next Generation Education Technology?, an Interview with Deborah Quazzo - April 2014, Article Format: PDF - SLI14-041422
As calculated by IBIS Capital, the global education market has reached $4.4 trillion and forecasts predict continued strong growth in the coming years. So what does the future hold for the education technology segment? Deborah Quazzo, the founder and managing partner of GSV Advisors, will lead a panel discussion with venture capitalists and ed-tech executives titled “What's the Next Game Changer? - Following the Money in the EDU Space” at the 2014 Learning Impact Leadership Institute in New Orleans, May 5-8. “What I hope people take away from the discussion is the idea that investment is interested in aligning with companies and teams with really big ideas to transform education,” she said.
- Tackling the Last Frontier. Helping Educators Make Effective Use of Technology. An Learning Impact interview with Lord Jim Knight of Weymouth - April 2014, Article Format: PDF - SLI13-041414
This article examines the views of Lord Jim Knight who feels that technology in education is continuing to advance at a rapid pace and students worldwide remain eager to learn. In order for teaching and learning to meet the needs of the 21st century, however, administrators and policy makers must confront the final frontier of preparing teachers for making effective use of that evolving technology.
- Making Education Smarter - An Interview with Mary Keeling, Manager of Economic Analysis, for IBM's Smarter Cities Program - April 2014, Article Format: PDF - SLI12-040114
This interview with Mary Keeling explains in this article that because of the growing trend toward urbanization - six years ago, for the first time in human history, the majority of the world's population was living in cities - urban centers are largely driving the world's economy. And education, said Keeling, is one of the most critical investments communities can make because skilled workers are essential to economic growth.
- Interview with Julie Evans, The Challenge of Educating Today's Digital Natives - March 2014, Article Format: PDF -SLI11-032014
This interview examines the thoughts of Julie Evans whose Data compiled by Project Tomorrow, based on surveys completed by more than 3.5 million students, faculty, parents and administrators during the past decade, shows that today's students are increasingly interested in learning although their curiosity may not necessarily align with what's being
taught in today's schools.
- Interview with Ben Nelson, Rethinking the University: A Student-Centered Design - March 2014, Article Format: PDF - SLI10-022514
This interview with Ben Nelson from the Minerva Project examines new approaches to learning.
An Integrated Learning Platform Improved with 1EdTech Learning Standards - January 2014, Article Format: PDF - SL109-022014
Desire2Learn (D2L) is a leading supporter for the broad adoption of interoperability standards to enable an open, integrated learning platform for teaching and learning. This interview with Jeremy Auger, Chief Strategy Officer at D2L describes how their integrated approach is taking technology out of the way and making it easier for end-users to focus on improving learning outcomes.
- With 1EdTech's Learning Tools Interoperability Standard,
Providing Students Content at Western Governors University
is Easier and More Efficient - September 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI08-09013
This interview with Steve Klingler describes how Western Governors University is benefiting from the adoption of the 1EdTech LTI standard
- New Paradigms for Teaching and Learning - June 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI07-07013
This interview with Dr. Zhao after his keynote speech at Learning Impact 2013 examines if the role of technology to lead the transformation toward student-centric
learning or is it merely to serve as a catalyst toward change.
- Effective Instructional Innovation: How IT Gets There from Here! - May 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI06-05013
This brief paper discusses a workshop given by Casey Green at Learning Impact 2013. The workshop explores IT effectiveness in context of both a supporting infrastructure and also as reflection of institutional culture and a commitment to change â€“ a willingness among campus officials to leverage technology as a catalyst for change to enable instructional innovation.
- The Need for New Paradigms in Education - May 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI05-05013
This brief paper discusses the The Need for New Paradigms in Education with Dr. Yong Zhao, presidential chair and associate dean for global education in the College of Education at the University of Oregon.
- Turning Data into Personalized Learning Experiences - April 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI04-04013
This brief paper discusses the Turning Data into Personalized Learning Experiences with Athabasca University Professor, George Siemens.
- Revolutionizing Education through Innovative Technology - April 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI03-04013
This brief paper discusses the use of mobile technology with iSchool Initative's CEO, Travis Allen.
- The Future of Competency-based Learning - April 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI02-04013
This brief paper addresses discusses Competency-based Learning with Dr. Robert Mendenhall, President of Western Governors University.
- The Business Case for Academic Enterprise Interoperability - March 2013, Article Format: PDF - SLI01-031013
This brief paper addresses some of the technological challenges facing institutions today and suggest simple actions the business office can pursue to get more from existing and future technology investments.
- Application and Policy Brief: Efficient and Descriptive Learning Object Metadata: An Essential Component of K12 Instructional Reform - Feburary 2013, Article Format: PDF - APB21-022013
This brief paper addresses standardization of a Learning Object metadata vocabulary and federated search processes consistent with the instructional requirements of the Common Core.
- Application and Policy Brief: Open-Standards Requirements for Digital Content and Application Integration with Enterprise Learning Platforms - Feburary 2013, Article Format: PDF - APB1-022013
This brief provides explicit guidance for ensuring that requests for proposals for learning content or platform products address the use of open standards.
- What's not in your backpack? The future of Textbooks in the 21st Century: A new Series on Learning Impact Article - January 2013, Article Format: PDF
Summary: Learn how major publishers are creating and developing the next generation learning format in the digital evolution
- Evolving Personalized Learning: Maximizing K12 Expenditures to Support Instructional Reform - November 2012, Article Format: PDF
Summary: This position paper discusses the role of interoperability standards in evolving K12 education.
- Harvard Business Publishing Provides Seamless Integration of Content Through 1EdTech Consortium Standards - September 2012, Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: Learn how Harvard Business Publishing uses Common Cartridge to provide and exchange content.
- Interoperability Critical for Success of iLearnNYC - October 2011, Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: Learn how New York City Department of Education uses 1EdTech interoperability standards to support integration of content and tools.
- Florida Virtual School® manages growth with interoperability standards - October 2011, Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: Discover how Florida Virtual School uses 1EdTech Common Cartridge and 1EdTech Learning Tools Interoperability to help curtail costs.
- 1EdTech Standards Provide a Foundation for Integration Between McGraw-Hill Content and Most Course Management System Providers - August 2011, Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: Learn how McGraw-Hill used Learning Tools Interoperability to successfully integrate content into McGraw-Hill Campus and other Course Management Systems.
- 1EdTech Standards Enhance Innovation at the University of Michigan -May 2011, Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary:Collaboration to enable innovation is a hallmark at the University of Michigan (U-M). Consistently one of the largest public research universities in the U.S., the U-M places equally high value on teaching and learning. It is a founding partner and active contributor to the Sakai community open source project. It also has been an active participant and leader in the 1EdTech Consortium.
- Technology Standards Offer Opportunities for Stronger Partnerships Between Vendors - April 2011, Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary:Creating products that adhere to interoperability standards helps contain research and development costs as well as enhance their appeal to potential customers. Meeting those standards also offers opportunities for developing and strengthening partnerships between vendors.
- 1EdTech Campus Case Study -Louisiana Community & Technical College System Online - January 2011, Type: Case Study Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: 1EdTech Consortium helps Louisiana Community & Technical College System Online as it develops standardized online programs in an open source environment
- Creating a Shared Vision for Assessment Reform: Building on the Common Core- 2010 Type: Whitepaper Format: PDF
Summary: Rob Abel's whitepaper that highlights to the technical and assessment aspects of academic assessment standards.
- Taming the Metadata Beast: ILOX, November 2010, Type: Article Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: This framework, named Information for Learning Object eXchange (ILOX), is developed as part of the 1EdTech Learning Object Discovery & Exchange (LODE) specification that aims to facilitate the discovery and retrieval of learning objects stored across more than one collection. While thus far ILOX has been demonstrated to resolve a number of challenges specific to the e-learning domain, it is a generic framework that can be profiled to organize metadata about any type of digital content.
- The iPad Changes the Landscape of Educational Portable Computing, November 2010, Type: Executive Summary, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: This article captures the key points made at the following discussion session held at EDUCAUSE 2010:
Digital Learning Resources: Does the iPad Change Everything/Anything? Held Thursday, 14 October 2010 -- Session description: New developments in digital books, book readers, digital publishing, and open educational resources. When will they be ready for prime time in education? Is it iPad vs. Kindle vs. Laptop? Join us to exchange views on real progress to date.
- 1EdTech Campus Case Study - Lone Star College System, October 2010, Type: Case Study Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: Discover how Lone Star College leverages 1EdTech Consortium's guidance and Common Cartridge standard to integrate content for online program and system use
- New Opportunities for Teaching and Learning: Extending Learning Management Systems Using Standards October 2010, Type: Online Slides
Summary: Chuck Severance's talk at Educause 2010 discusses how to add functionality to LMSs using Standards.
- 1EdTech Campus Case Study - Tennessee Board of Regents, October 2010, Type: Case Study Format: HTML and PDF
Summary: Learn how Tennessee Board of Regents creates seamless online learning and information sharing with 1EdTech Consortium's guidance and interoperability standards
- Teachers' use of 1EdTech Common Cartridge, July 2010, Type: Live webinar archive Format: Wimba. View the Recording
Summary: Dr. Agueda Gras-Velazquez (European Schoolnet) and Kati Clements (University of Jyväskylä, Finland) detail results from the ASPECT Summer School and explain why common cartridge seem particularly well-suited to address teachers' needs.
- The State of Technology in Higher Education: A Conversation with The Campus Computing Project's Kenneth Green, March 2010, Type: Interview, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: A keynote speaker at Learning Impact 2010, 1EdTech recently spoke with Green about trends in higher education technology and what we can expect during the coming decade.
- The Learning Impact 2010 Report: High Value Projects that Leading Institutions, Schools, and Governments are Implementing to Improve Access and Affordability to High Quality Educational Experiences, February 2010, Type: Executive Summary, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: This report is directed at individuals and organizations leading the adoption of new technologies to support teaching and learning at the course, discipline, institutional, and educational system levels. Its goal is to help identify repeatable implementation projects that can help institutions and educational authorities improve access, affordability, and quality of educational experiences.
- 1EdTech Korea Standardization Forum Event Summary, November 2009, Type: Event Summary, Format: PDF document
Summary: An overview of the 2nd Annual 1EdTech Korea Standardization forum.
- e-Books & e-Readers: Trends, Issues, and Opportunities from the Educause 2009 Conference Discussion Forum, November 2009, Type: Event Summary Article, Format: HTML and PDF document
Summary: A summary article of the e-Book & e-Reader discussion at Educause 2009
- Glow: Setting an Example for the World in Connecting Education across Scotland, November 2009, Type: Article, Format: HTML and PDF document
Summary: Overview of Glow, an educational collaboration tool and a winner of the 2009 Learning Impact Awards.
- From CMS to Learning and Teaching: Trends in Digital Learning Content and Web 2.0 Integration, October 2009, Type: Presentation Slides, Format: PDF document
Summary: Rob Abel presentation from SLOAN-C about the four trends in Digital Learning
- The Promise and Challenges of e-Books and e-Readers in Education, October 2009, Type: Article, Format: HTML and PDF document
Summary: A preparatory article that will be discussed at Educause 2009 surrounding e-Books and e-Readers and what devices will students be using to access that content in the future.
- New Generation Learning & Educational Technology Standards, September 2009, Type: Presentation Slides, Format: PDF document
Summary: Rob Abel presents on interoperability standards and educational trends in K-12, as well as an update on 1EdTech and ADL cooperation from a workshop at EdNet in Chicago, Illinois.
- LearnSAT - Learning and Educational Technology Trends and Satisfaction Survey
Summary: LearnSAT is the education industry's ONLY ongoing research into trends and satisfaction of products and services that contribute to the educational experience. The public may view in-process ratings and provide ratings by accessing the online 1EdTech Learning and Educational Technology Product Directory. 1EdTech Contributing Members have the ability to influence the categories, products and questions in the survey. 1EdTech Contributing and Affiliate Members serve as survey panel participants and have in-process access to the full set of survey results in progress, including:
- Product ratings for 22 categories
- LMS ratings and trends
- Content authoring ratings and trends
- Classroom and collaboration technology ratings and trends
- Assessment product ratings and trends
- Digital content ratings and trends
- Product and service priorities for the next 12 months
1EdTech Learning Tools Interoperability Webinar – Update, July 2009, Type: Live webinar archive, Format: Wimba & PDF document of PowerPoint slides. View the Recording- Download the Slides
Summary: Join Dr. Charles Severance of 1EdTech as he describes the coming release of BasicLTI, a breakthrough standard (being adopted by leading suppliers such as Blackboard and Pearson) for web service application interfaces (APIs) that replace ALL of the special-purpose integrations required to make new learning applications and content seamless across your academic enterprise.
- Using Learning Technology and Standards to Increase Student Success in Math at the University of Alabama, July 2009, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: Interactive, web-based, discipline specific “homework applications” are a disruptive innovation featuring formative assessment that is rapidly improving the lives of teachers and students at scale.
- Openness and Standards at Blackboard, June, 2009 - Type: Blog, Format: HTML
Summary: Ray Henderson, president of Blackboard Learn, communicates a new position at Blackboard to lead in standards activities such as 1EdTech Common Cartridge, Learning Tools Interoperability, and Learning Information Services.
- The Next Generation of Learning Technology Standards Rob Abel - June 2009, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: Rob Abel presents on the 1EdTech Digital Learning Services standards and the 5 major drivers of change in the technical part of the educational enterprise at the European Distance Learning and E-Learning Network (EDEN).
- Opinion: Demanding Educational Software Standards That Work, The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 2009, Type: Online article, Format: HTML.
Summary: In this editorial column, principal technologist at Georgetown University, Charlie Leonhardt, urges his information technology colleagues in education to demand interoperability standards while procuring or upgrading campus systems.
- A Survey of Student Retention Early Warning Strategies, February 2009, Type: Research report, Format: PDF document.
Summary: This qualitative research report from collaboration between the 1EdTech Consortium and the Education Advisory Board Corporation describes successful U.S. higher education case studies of a variety of approaches to improving student retention.
- Digital Content Summit, March 2009, Type: Event summary article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: Report from The 1EdTech GLC Special Summit on Next Generation Digital Learning & Content in February 2009 at California State University including trends in e-Books and related digital content, including presentations from CourseSmart, Café Scribe, Follett, Cengage, and Pearson.
- New Standards to Facilitate eLearning, eSchoolNews, March 2009, Type: Online article, Format: HTML. Type: Online article, Format: HTML.
Summary: This magazine article describes the rise of 1EdTech Common Cartridge in helping improve teaching and learning.
- Leading Integration of Enterprise Learning and Administrative Systems: The Next Generation, October 2008, Type: Event summary article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: This article is a complete summary of a panel session held at Educause 2008 concerned with how new learning technologies can be integrated with student systems. The panelists included representatives from Blackboard, Oracle, SunGard, and Georgetown University.
- Update on 1EdTech Learning - Standards for Developing & Adopting Learning Technology Rob Abel - Educause 2008 - October 2008, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: Briefing slides from 1EdTech Consortium update for Educause, including the latest on the new suite of Digital Learning Services standards: Common Cartridge, Learning Tools Interoperability, and Learning Information Services. Also find out about new learning technology leadership and adoption practice activities for digital textbooks, institutional analytics, online retention, and accessibility.
- Perspectives on the Use of Technology in the Education Part of the Industry: 1995-2008 - Rob Abel - European Learning Industry Group (ELIG) – October 2008, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: This presentation compares industry segment growth of learning technology in the U.S. since 1995 and describes the important transformation to web-based learning applications and content in the current era.
- What is the Learning Impact of the Technology-Empowered Education You Deliver? John Falchi - League for Innovation in the Community College- October 2008, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: This presentation discusses the challenges in transitioning from an IT enterprise focused on “administration” to one focused on “learning” in today's higher education environment.
- 1EdTech and LTAC Orientation and Updates John Falchi - Learning Technology Advisory Council (LTAC) Workshop - October 2008, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: This presentation outlines the then current work of the 1EdTech Learning Technology Advisory Council (LTAC), including status of projects in progress.
- The Coming Changes in Learning: Creating New Architectures Now! featuring coming changes in the health sciences, July 2008, Type: Video archive of Summit meeting, Format: Streaming video.
Summary: This is an archive of a full day of presentations at the University of Michigan looking to the future of digital content and architectures to meet the needs of open global learning, featuring talks from John L. King, Paul N. Courant, and a special talk by James J. Duderstadt on the Coming Changes in the University.
- The Future of ICT Standards in Learning, Rob Abel - June 2008 - Type: Recorded presentation archive, Format: Streaming video or podcast.
Summary: This lecture sets the stage with the thought that the great dilemma of our time in that knowledge is the most valuable asset, but so difficult to measure, and then progresses to discuss the transition to Learning 3.0 and what it will mean for learning technology and standards.
- The State of Learning Technology and the Impact of Standards on Improving Education:An Interview with Martin Bean, February 2008, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: In this interview, the General Manager of Microsoft's Education Products Group discusses the Microsoft view of the use of technology across K-20 education, including how technology can impact quality of education.
- Perspectives on the Progression of Learning in Higher Education:An Interview with John Lombardi January 2008, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: In this interview, the president of the Louisiana State University System provides his views on the evolution of technology to support higher education from an executive perspective.
- "The universities with students at a distance are more innovative" An Interview with Rob Abel, December 2007. Type: Interview article, Format: HTML.
Summary: Rob Abel provides his views on open and distance learning and standards while in Barcelona, Spain for the meeting of the Open Campus project.
- Learning Impact Awards , Rob Abel, Presentation at The Summit on Innovation in Learning Technology, Queenstown, New Zealand - November 2007, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: This presentation discusses the Learning Impact Awards (LIAs) and how 1EdTech GLC has restructured its activities to cover the full spectrum of innovation, adoption, and learning impact.
- The Evolving Course Management System and the Future of Learning: An Interview with Matthew Schnittman - November 2007, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: In this interview, the president of eCollege's Learning division provides his views on what is happening to the “course management system” as the penetration matures in U.S. higher education.
- 2007 KERIS Issue Report Standardization Issue Report: 1EdTech Accessibility
Summary: This issue paper considers the potential use of 1EdTech Access for All standards in Korea.
- 2007 KERIS Issue Report Standardization Issue Report: 1EdTech Common Cartridge
Summary: This issue paper considers the prospects for the Application of Common Cartridge in Korea in conjunction with the Digital Book project and based on the history with the CyberHome Learning System.
- Learning, Technology, and Standards: A Call to Action for the Coming Era , Rob Abel, October 2007, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: This presentation addresses the question of “How do you know if your institution is a leader in learning?” and the ramifications this question has on the use of technology and standards.
- The Learning Federation: A Nationwide Initiative to Encourage Development of Interactive and Interoperable Learning Objects in the Schools Sector : An Interview with Stuart Tait - October 2007, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: In this interview we learn about progress and plans for one of the world's most successful deployments of “learning objects” across a wide geographical territory in the K-12 segment, all with the help of 1EdTech standards.
- Access For All, And Access to What? Rob Abel, Presentation at Open Forum on Standards in Accessibility, September 2007, Type: Presentation slides, Format: PDF document of PowerPoint slides.
Summary: This presentation addresses the status of adoption of the emerging 1EdTech Access For All accessibility standards and asks the question of how to improve adoption on the content side of the equation.
- Meeting Institutional Learning Technology Challenges at the University of Maryland University College: An Interview with Nicholas Allen - September 2007, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: The recent provost of the largest non-profit provider of online courses in the U.S. gives us his perspective on the strategic use of technology to enhance quality and scale.
- Learning Impact 2007: The Latest Trends in Learning, Technology, and Standards, August 2007, Type: Annual Review report, Format: PDF
Summary: This report from the 1EdTech Consortium reviews the latest developments and learning technology and standards and highlights six strategic trends to watch going forward into the future.
- Educational Testing Service and Farragut High School Take Top Honors in First Annual Learning Impact Award (LIA) Global Competition: An Interview with Gary Driscoll - July 2007
Summary: The organizations responsible for the top rated platinum winners of the 2007 Learning Impact Awards discuss how this ETS intelligent tutoring product improved access, affordability, and quality.
- Leading in Learning with Community Engagement: An Interview with Cal State Northridge President Jolene Koester - June 2007, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: The organizations responsible for the top rated platinum winners of the 2007 Learning Impact Awards discuss how this ETS intelligent tutoring product improved access, affordability, and quality.
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) in Education - from Top to Bottom - View the Recording June 2007, Type: Live webinar archive, Format: Wimba.
Summary: Cisco, IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle present their views on the role of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) in education.
- Innovation, Adoption, and Learning Impact: Creating the Future of IT, March 2007, Rob Abel, Type: Educause Review Article, Format: HTML
Summary: This article reviews the progress made in adoption of technology to support learning over the past 10 years in higher education and looks to the future given the current socio-economic drivers, with a special emphasis on the role of the Chief Information or Chief Learning Officer.
- Achieving Learning Impact Through Strategic Investment in Technology: The 1EdTech Consortium Executive Strategic Council Perspective - March 2007, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: The 1EdTech Executive Strategic Council provides their views on what constitutes strategic investment in technology to improve access, affordability, and quality.
- 1EdTech GLC Learning Technology Trends and Satisfaction Report - Feb 2007, Type: Research Report, Format: PDF.
Summary: This report provides survey results on the state of adoption, trends, and satisfaction of learning and educational technology, covering learning management systems, assessment systems, digital content, administrative systems, and more.
- Oracle and the Academic Enterprise: An Interview with Curtiss Barnes of Oracle- January 2007, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: The marketing leader of Oracle's education segment discusses the Oracle strategy post Peoplesoft merger, including the importance of standards.
- Unlocking Access to Learning at the Open University with OpenLearn: An Interview with Joel Greenberg of UK's Open U - December 2006, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: In this interview, the British Open University's Director of Strategic Development talks about one of the world's foremost open content initiatives, OpenLearn, and what role such initiatives will play in the future.
- Making Distance Learning and Online Education Happen:An Interview with Gloria Pickar of Compass Knowledge Group - September 2006, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: The president of one of the most successful private companies providing services that help quality institutions and programs “go online” provides her views on the role of institutional and industry partnerships in improving access, affordability, and quality.
- Understanding Media Psychology and Learning to Learn: An Interview with Bernie Luskin of Fielding Graduate University - September 2006, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: In this interview, a former Community College president, online learning pioneer, and visionary behind the new field of “Media Psychology” explores the need for a new type of technical leadership in universities to support teaching and learning.
- An Exemplary Program that Leverages Technology to Increase Capacity and Achieve Quality Outcomes for Nursing Students: An Interview with Frank Wetta of Ocean County College - July 2006, Type: Interview article, Format: HTML and PDF document.
Summary: The provost of a leading U.S. community college explains how they have improved their nursing program with online technology.
- A Culture of Evidence: Postsecondary Assessment and Learning Outcomes, ETS.org, June 2006, Type: Report, Format: PDF document
Summary: In this report, the Educational Testing Service (ETS), provides it recommendations to the U.S. department of education on how to improve meaningful assessment of outcomes in postsecondary education.
- Best Practices in Open Source in Higher Education Study The State of Open Source Software March 2006, Type: Research Report, Format: PDF.
Summary: The only detailed study on the use of open source software in higher education ever performed, this report details the level of use, perceived benefit, and service needs for the full range of enterprise software, including learning management, portals, student, and financial systems.
- What's Next in Learning Technology in Higher Education? Paper by Rob Abel dated October 2005. Type: Trends and predictions report, Format: PDF.
Summary: This paper discusses the past successes of technology to support and enhance learning in higher education, discusses several theories of adoption, and then provides predications on what future technology areas could “go mainstream.”
- Internet - Supported Learning Self-Audit Study 2005: A Collaborative Approach to Improving Quality and Success November 2005 Type: Research report, Format: PDF.
Summary: Based on data collection from over 30 institutions, this research report describes parameters for assessing six dimensions of support that are critical to perceived success of higher education online learning initiatives of all kinds.
- Achieving Success in Internet-Supported Learning in Higher Education: Case Studies Illuminate Success Factors, Challenges and Future Directions February 2005, Type: Research report, Format: PDF.
Summary: Based on case studies, this research report distills key success factors for online learning initiatives in higher education.