How to become IMS Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)™Certified and Why You Should
LTI Certification Overview
The goal of the IMS LTI Certification is to encourage interoperable implementations of both LMS Systems or LMS Extensions (LTI Tool Consumers) and External Tools/Content (LTI Tool Providers).
IMS LTI certification demands features and capabilities beyond those which are strictly required by the specification. The specification is intentionally left very flexible to allow it to be used for many purposes. This certification is particularly aimed at maximizing interoperability between LMS systems and their External Tools so it requires much more than the specification. Gaining this certification is expected to be more difficult than simply meeting the minimal requirements of the LTI launch protocol.
While conformance certification provides a "seal" for passing prescribed tests it is much more than that. It is a commitment by a supplier to the IMS community for ongoing support for achieving "plug and play" integration. Therefore, certification implies ongoing community commitment to resolve problems, revise implementations and retest as need.
Why Become IMS LTI Certified?
- Buyers trust IMS as the neutral arbiter of truly interoperable products and content
- IMS certification designates passing a set of tests that will guarantee interoperability across a growing list of 100’s of certified products
- The IMS certification process connects your organization to an IMS Alliance community of technical resources, making implementation of the standard much easier
- IMS certification provides a specific registration number for a product to be used in responses to requests for proposals
- IMS certified products are backed by IMS technical support to troubleshoot any technical issues that may occur
- Organizations achieving IMS certification can use the IMS certification logo in product and general marketing
- The IMS certification Alliance community provides continuous updates and involvement in the evolution of the standard and conformance testing
- Certification is included as a benefit of IMS membership: any number of products can be certified at no additional cost for each Alliance category or all categories for Affiliate or Contributing Members of IMS
- The IMS web site provides high traffic marketing exposure as the authoritative source for IMS certified products
In summary, participation in the IMS certification process the most cost effective way to achieve product integrations while to buyers that the education industry will be the best it can be in of open innovation well into the. When your organization becomes certified you receive all the benefits of becoming connected as a member of the world's most influential technical consortium leading the future of educational technology innovation and Learning Impact.
- LTI Certification is available for IMS Common Cartridge/Learning Tools Interoperability Alliance Member, an IMS Affiliate Member or an IMS Contributing Member.
- LTI Certification testing must be done using the certification suite hosted on the Alliance web site.
- LTI Certification reports must be submitted by a designated representative of the IMS member and the member must agree that there is no misrepresentation or manipulation of the results in the submitted certification report.
See the certification suite page for more details.